Addressing the cause of pain, not just the site of pain
At Well Balanced, we will develop a personalized treatment plan that focuses on the cause of pain, not only the site of pain. And we consider patient education and communication essential to the healing process. From your first visit on, we encourage you to discuss, learn, and engage in your body. If you do that, the faster you will see results.
Traditional physical therapy vs Well Balanced physical therapy
Traditional Physical Therapy
In America, a traditional physical therapist will treat a patient condition by only looking at the condition itself, such as knee pain. A series of exercises pertaining to the localized area will be prescribed, with time allocated up to 60 minutes per day. In addition, prescribed exercises are assigned mostly via a diagnoses from a referring physician.
Physical Therapy at Well Balanced
- A whole body assessment is performed.
- Treatment plan focuses on the cause of pain, not only the site of pain.
- Manual release is performed and taught to reduce and eliminate symptoms at home
- Mobility and Stabilization exercises are taught to build strength around site of pain and connecting areas that play a part in pain and dysfunction.
- Average treatment time is 4-6 weeks to reduce pain to 80% relief.
Research proves that when personalized mobility and stability exercises are combined with hands-on manual therapy including spinal articulation and release of tight muscles and joints, patients achieve better outcomes.
Further research indicates patients receive sustainable outcomes when patient education is included in your treatment. The most essential aspect of any pain management program is learning about the issues affecting you.
This is important because lifestyle changes and home exercises help support the treatment visits and will help you manage your symptoms independently.
Your First Session
- Whole body assessment
- Education on why symptoms are happening
- Teaching release of muscles responsible for pain
- Teaching stabilization and strengthening of muscles causing pain
- Detailed homework sheet with a realistic amount of time spent each day, set by the patient.
While most of our patients have been seen by one of our primary practitioners for acupuncture, chiropractic or manual therapy, it is not a necessity. If you have been seen, your Therapeutic Exercise (TE) specialist will review your intake for your original complaint and consult with your primary practitioner about your progress and thoughts on integration. Each Well Balanced practitioners uses the SFMA and FRA in addition to other orthopedic exams to assess your condition and may use a condenses assessment to verify progress in follow up treatment. Global use of the same assessment allows all practitioners and TE specialist to speak the same language.
- Modified assessment of trouble areas found the previous treatment
- Assessment of release and exercises performed at home since previous treatment
- Progression of exercises for until the next session, with full understanding of what the exercise is for and how it helps reach the end goal.
Most patients treatment plans are two times a week, for four to six weeks. However, if you are continuing to see other manual release practitioners at Well Balanced such as manual therapy or acupuncture, we suggest just once per week. You will have access to the exercise area after each manual therapy or acupuncture session in which you can do your exercises to stabilize the release work the practitioners have done.
Preparing for each appointment
Before you come to each appointment, it is helpful to to think about any progress or concerns since your last treatment. Your ability to notice change will help immensely in the process.